- 500 g fresh okra
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 green chili peppers, finely chopped (optional, adjust to desired heat level)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander for garnish (optional)
- Wash the okra thoroughly and pat dry. Trim the ends and cut the okra lengthwise into halves.
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, and grated ginger to the pan. Sauté until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped green chili peppers (if using) and sauté for another minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, ground cumin, and ground coriander to the pan. Stir well to coat the spices evenly on the onions.
- Add the halved okra to the pan and mix gently with the onion-spice mixture. Ensure that the okra is well coated with the spices.
- Cook the okra over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it becomes tender and slightly crispy. This usually takes around 10-12 minutes.
- Season with salt according to your taste preferences and mix well.
- Remove the pan from heat and garnish the bhindi with fresh coriander leaves if desired.
- Serve the delicious bhindi as a side dish with rice or Indian breads like roti or naan.
Enjoy the flavorful and healthy bhindi as part of your Indian meal!