Coconut Daal is a delicious and aromatic dish that combines the richness of lentils with the tropical flavor of coconut. This traditional Indian recipe is not only packed with flavors but also offers a nutritious and comforting meal. Here are the ingredients and preparation steps to make Coconut Daal:
- 1 cup yellow split lentils (moong daal)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Rinse the yellow split lentils thoroughly under running water and soak them in water for about 30 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan or pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilies to the pan and sauté until the onions turn golden brown.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste and cook for a minute until the raw aroma disappears.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Now, add the soaked and drained lentils to the pan. Mix well with the onion and tomato mixture.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Stir to coat the lentils evenly with the spices.
- Pour in the water and coconut milk, and give everything a good stir. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- If using a pressure cooker, cover it with the lid and cook for about 2-3 whistles or until the lentils are cooked and soft. If using a regular pan, cover it with a lid and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the lentils are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Once the lentils are cooked, check the consistency of the daal. If it’s too thick, add more water or coconut milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle garam masala over the daal and give it a final stir.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve the Coconut Daal hot with steamed rice or naan bread. Squeeze some lemon juice over the daal for an extra tangy flavor.
Coconut Daal is a delightful combination of creamy lentils and the tropical essence of coconut. With its rich flavors and comforting texture, it is sure to please your taste buds and leave you satisfied. Enjoy this nourishing and flavorful dish as a main course or as a side dish in your Indian meal.