– 1 cup Samai (Little Millet)
– 2 tablespoons cooking oil
– 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
– 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
– 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
– 2-3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
– 1 sprig curry leaves
– 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
– Salt to taste
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons fresh grated coconut (optional)
– Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
1. Wash and Cook the Samai: Rinse the Samai under cold water and drain. In a saucepan, add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add the washed Samai, reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until it becomes soft but not mushy. Drain any excess water and set aside.
2. Tempering: In a large skillet or pan, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the cumin seeds and sauté for a few seconds until fragrant.
3. Add Aromatics: Add the green chilies, curry leaves, and roasted peanuts. Sauté for a couple of minutes until the peanuts turn slightly golden.
4. Seasoning: Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, and salt to the skillet. Mix well to evenly coat the ingredients.
5. Combine with Samai: Add the cooked Samai to the skillet and gently toss everything together, ensuring the Samai is well-coated with the flavorful tempering.
6. Add Lemon Juice: Drizzle the fresh lemon juice over the Samai mixture. Mix thoroughly to evenly distribute the tangy flavor.
7. Garnish and Serve: If desired, garnish with freshly grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot as is or with a side of yogurt or pickle.
Enjoy your Tangy Samai Lemon Rice, a delightful and nutritious millet-based dish with a burst of zesty flavors!